Need to top up on pantry essentials?
For mushroom sauce:
1. Soak the cashew nuts in two cups of drinking water for about 2 hours.
2. Soak the dried porcini mushrooms (or dried shiitake) in 1.5 cups of water for about 2 hours.
3. Drain the soaked mushrooms thoroughly. Reserve the mushroom soaked liquid for the sauce. If using shiitake, remove the tough stem, then slice the mushrooms.
4. In a large frying pan, heat one tablespoon of olive oil. Add the sliced mushrooms and fry them on high heat for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate, set aside.
5. Add the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil and chopped onion, cook until the onion is soft. Add one cup of reserved mushroom stock, bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes. Turn the heat off, add the miso and mix until dissolved. Transfer the mix to a high-speed blender, add washed and drained soaked cashew nuts. Mix until sauce is smooth, adding the remaining mushroom stock to reach preferred consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl, arrange the sautéed mushrooms on top.
For mushroom and walnut loaf roast:
1. Roast the walnuts in a 180C oven for 7 to 10 minutes, then chill it completely and finely chop, or pulse in a food processor.
2.Wipe the mushrooms with a damp cloth to remove dirt and dust. Chop the mushrooms finely or pulse in a food processor, set aside.
3. Chop the onion finely or pulse in a food processor, set aside.
4. Preheat the oven up to 180C.
5. In a large frying pan, heat one tablespoon of olive oil on a medium heat. Add the chopped onion. Cook for 2-4 minutes until soft. Add another tablespoon of olive oil and grated carrot. Cook for about 7 minutes until soft. Add the chopped mushrooms and cook for a further 10-15 minutes until all the liquid has evaporated and the mix has a pate texture. Transfer the mix to a bowl and chill.
6. Mix eggs, miso paste, chopped sage leaves, savoury yeast flakes, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl using a whisk. Add mushroom mix, walnuts, almond flour and stir well until the ingredients are combined.
7. Grease and line a 20cm loaf tin with parchment paper. Ensure the edges slightly overlap the tin for ease of removing the baked loaf.
8. Spoon the mushroom nut loaf mixture into the loaf tin and press down firmly.
9. Bake for about 1 hour until golden brown. Let cool in tin for 20 minutes, then invert loaf and remove from pan. Slice into pieces and serve warm with the warm cashew sauce.
-Recipe by Leno Regush