Need to top up on pantry essentials?
- Place 4 cups cold water, vanilla, spices and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add peeled pears. Cook, partially covered, turning occasionally until pears are tender, about 30 minutes. Then remove from heat.
- Allow pears to cool in syrup, turning occasionally. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pears to a plate. Reserve the syrup and set aside.
Date Caramel Sauce
- Soak the dates in reserved (hot) pear syrup for about 15 minutes.
Transfer the soaked dates into a high-speed blender add coconut milk, and vanilla paste.
- Blend until very smooth, adding reserved syrup little by little until you reach preferred sauce consistency.
- Combine the eggs, coconut milk and salt in a shallow bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place a slice of bread into the egg mixture for a few minutes then flip it over to soak the other side.
- Remove the slice of bread from the egg mixture.
- Preheat cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add one teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Cook the French toast until both sides are golden brown. Repeat with the remaining slices of bread.
- Cut each piece of French toast in half diagonally and serve topped with a spoonful or two of date caramel sauce, poached pear, and toasted nuts. Garnish with a mint leaves and edible flowers.